2023 Community Foundation Performing Arts Series
Line-Up Announced for Free Summer Concerts at the Chris Wilson Pavilion in Potawatomi Park
The Community Foundation of St. Joseph County will once again present the award-winning Community Foundation Performing Arts Series in the Chris Wilson Pavilion at South Bend’s Potawatomi Park. This six-event free series begins on July 22 and runs on consecutive Saturdays through August 26, featuring some of our community’s best arts talent.
- Jul. 22: Art 4 presents an evening of musical theater favorites, featuring a preview of its upcoming production of Spring Awakening, which opens the following weekend.
- Jul. 29: South Bend Civic Theatre presents a preview of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which opens in August, with music from the Fischoff National Chamber Music Association and additional Shakespeare-themed content.
- Aug. 5: Southold Dance Theater showcases its best students along with two professional guest artists, featuring classical ballet as well as modern dance.
- Aug. 12: Lifting Our Voices, Celebrating Our African American Legacy, a performance featuring Uzima! Drum and Dance performing traditional African dance with the voices of the Uzima! Choir and the South Bend Symphonic Choir. WUBS-FM 89.7 will offer a simulcast of the performance.
- Aug. 19: The South Bend Symphony Orchestra performs a full-length concert featuring a special animal-themed program. WVPE-FM 88.1 will offer a simulcast of the performance, including a special Q&A with Music Director Alastair Willis.
- Aug. 26: The South Bend Symphonic Choir and the Elkhart Community Chorus combine under the musical direction of Juan Carlos Alarcon and Dr. Marvin Curtis to perform “United in Purpose,” a musical celebration of the 60th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
All events are free to attend and begin at 7 p.m. Bring a lawn chair or blanket for seating. In case of rain, updates will be posted on the Community Foundation’s Facebook page and at www.cfsjc.org. (Only the South Bend Symphony performance on Aug. 19 has a scheduled rain location: Adams High School Auditorium.) All events will be professionally amplified and lit by EventSys.
The Community Foundation Performing Arts Series is sponsored by the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County’s ArtsEverywhere Fund, the Marjorie H. Wilson Charitable Trust Fund, and the Indiana Arts Commission. South Bend Venues, Parks and Arts is a key partner. WUBS-FM 89.7 is our broadcast partner for the Aug. 12 event, and WVPE-FM 88.1 is our broadcast partner for the Aug. 19 event.