21st Century Success Fellowship
The 21st Century Success Fellowship is an exciting opportunity to put selected 21st Century Scholars from St. Joseph County on a path to a successful career by completing 2- or 4-year degrees from a college or university located in St. Joseph County, Indiana.
The 21st Century Success Fellowship brings many benefits, including $5,000 per year ($500 per month from August to May). This money is in addition to the state-funded 21st Century Scholarship which applies to tuition.
In addition to the financial benefits, 21st Century Success Fellows will actively participate in a program aimed at personal leadership development, career preparation and degree completion. Fellowship program activities will include career exploration, professional development and networking opportunities, leadership development including near-peer mentoring and outreach to potential 21st Century Scholars in middle and high school, and other enrichment activities related to the 21st Century College Scholar Success Program. Fellows will be connected to information and networks for summer internships opportunities.
The 21st Century Success Fellowship may be renewed to cover a 2- or 4-year course of study. Renewal is contingent on satisfactory participation in Fellowship activities and retention of the 21st Century Scholarship.
Full details are available in our 21st Century Success Fellowship Guidelines.
Meet some of our Fellows in these videos:
- Be a St. Joseph County high school senior or college student eligible to receive a 21st Century Scholarship (meeting all scholar success program requirements)
- Graduate high school with at least a 2.5 GPA and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in college
- Be a resident of St. Joseph County, Indiana
- Graduate from an accredited St. Joseph County high school
- Intend to pursue or currently be pursuing a degree through a full-time course of study at an accredited tax-exempt college or university located in St. Joseph County*
Eligibility Note: Family members of those serving on the fellowship nomination committee or Community Foundation staff are deemed ineligible (defined as spouses, lineal descendants and their spouses, siblings and their spouses).
Complete the 21st Century Scholar Fellowship application using the Community Foundation’s online scholarship system. You’ll need:
- 1-page letter of recommendation from a person in a leadership position who knows you well (e.g. teacher, principal, guidance counselor, pastor, employer, youth worker) submitted through the online system. The letter should not come from family members.
- Official high school transcript (7th semester for current high school students and final transcript for college students). This should be uploaded by a school official into the online scholarship system. A final transcript will be required for all high school applicants to confirm GPA.
- College transcript (if applicable).
APPLICATION SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Additional information that has not been requested will not be accepted.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. There will be no exceptions.
- Online application must be complete and submitted by 11:59 p.m., February 15th. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure the application is complete and all materials are received on or before the deadline.
- Full guidelines are available here.
The award is renewable up to 2-4 years (depending on the degree sought). Students are required to submit a renewal application each year in order to be considered for further support. Eligibility for fellowship renewal requires retaining the 21st Century Scholarship (which includes completion of College Scholar Success Program requirements annually) and satisfactory progress toward a degree at college or university in St. Joseph County. Renewal information will be sent to fellowship recipients by the Community Foundation in the spring of each school year.
SELECTION CRITERIA AND PROCESS
Recipients will be identified by a 21st Century Success Fellowship Selection Committee who will seek to reward those students who have demonstrated motivation and the drive to succeed as evidenced in their application. The committee will take into consideration the following criteria: demonstrated motivation, leadership, involvement in school-related activities, service, employment history, written essays, and a letter of recommendation. A personal interview will also weigh significantly in the Committee’s selection process.
Initial Award and Subsequent Renewals will be contingent on successful participation in 21st Century Scholarship Program.
*St. Joseph County colleges and universities: Indiana University South Bend, Ivy Tech Community College South Bend, Bethel University, Holy Cross College, Saint Mary’s College, University of Notre Dame, Purdue Polytechnic.